Reconciliation Week 27 May – 3 June
Be Brave Make Change
In 2022 Spearwood Primary School Celebrated Reconciliation Week with the following Activities:
- We started the week with an awesome morning tea and dance session featuring bush food themed treats from the P&C and Aboriginal music.
- A PA announcement each day of the week – What is Reconciliation Week? A new fact was shared each day by our awesome prefects!
- Children researched and ‘taught’ a teacher/parent/sibling a fact they didn’t already know about National Reconciliation Week;
- We created a collective artwork of “What reconciliation means to me”. All children produced an item, some of which you can see displayed in Administration and around the school;
- Children heard a story as part of their library session on June 1;
- and then participated in NAIDOC Week Colouring Competition (K-2) and Poem Competition (3-6).
For Reconciliation week, each class was given copies of
symbols in which Aboriginal people use to tell stores in their
It was left to the teachers and student to choose what colours
and material they did the artwork on. Students were asked to
tell a story using the symbols. It was a fun way of exposing
and teaching the student the importance of communication for
Mrs Julie Waigana